Thursday, August 18, 2011

Why abroad? Why Gilman?


            To say that going abroad was a life changing experience sounds so cliché, but the reality is there really is no other way to describe it. No matter how much you read, study, or investigate, nothing compares to lived experience, and in our globalized world we need more people who genuinely understand other cultures and societies because they have actually lived in them. For me, my time in Santiago, Chile was both humbling and liberating. It gave me new perspective not only on the world and my place in it, but also on myself as an individual with the power to make choices.

Another undeniable reality is that studying abroad is expensive, a fact which deters many potential social leaders from pursuing it. This is where I offer my knowledge and assistance to all of you who excitedly await your own program’s start dates, but who also are not doubt aware of the financial burden you face. For my study abroad program I received a $3000 scholarship from the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship Foundation. It was this scholarship that made my study abroad experience come to fruition in a manner that released me from the stress of taking more government loans. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide. Their goal is to broaden the student population who study abroad by offering scholarships to those who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints. They offer 2300 scholarships of up to $5000 each per year and even offer an additional $3000 scholarship to recipients studying languages identified as critical need. The application process is relatively simple, one short essay and a follow-up project upon return, and the benefits are undeniable.  I know that, for most of you, the idea of writing another essay is about as appealing as pulling teeth, but you cannot pass up the opportunity to get up to $5000 to help with your study abroad expenses!!!

In addition to providing all of you with this information, I will act as a student advisor to any of you who wish to apply for this wonderful scholarship. Feel free to email me a draft of your essay for editing, or any other questions you may have about the application process you can either post here or email me at amichals@ucsc.edu

I hope that all of you have as life changing and memorable experiences abroad as I did and that you take advantage of this great scholarship opportunity!! Happy travels!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the interesting article.Most students have pre conceived notions study abroad scholarship for higher studies. These can often lead to bad decisions concerning selection of the right college. Here are some common myths that people have about getting scholarships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to someone at the study abroad office but it didn't really help me. Like I have no idea how I'm supposed to write 7000 characters on something like "I will host events, and write about my experience.."
    Please please help.

    ReplyDelete